As we shall not be holding our traditional family service this Mothering Sunday, 22nd March, here are some ideas from Fr Piotr for talking to your children – especially young children – on this special day.
Read Luke’s Gospel Chapter 2, verse 22-32 and 39-51 (Presentation of Jesus in the Temple and the Boy Jesus in the Temple) in a children-friendly Bible (e.g. the Good News Bible) and then:
• Talk about Jesus' relationship with his Mother and Joseph and that they were going to their "church".
• Talk about members of your wider families (use joyful photos if you can). Remind them of their names, reintroduce them to your children.
• Say prayers for your relatives.
• If still possible, give a call to grandma and grandpa and say "hello".
• Read a story about love in a family.
Revd Dr Piotr Ashwin-Siejkowski
Assistant Priest/School Chaplain
Why not make a super simple card, like the one below, and decorate it for a friend or family member who you would normally see on Mothering Sunday? You could drop it in the postbox, or through their letter box as a wonderful surprise!
The St Mary's Team